I don't remember a time I didn't know about George Steinbrenner. My mother would get so angry with him, and she wrote him letters expressing her displeasure with him. Once she sent him a pin-the-tail-on-the-donkey game and told him to pin the tail on himself. Her letters after that came to be known by us as "jackass letters," behind her back, of course. I suppose my mother and I were kindred spirits with him - we all wanted the Yankees to win at all costs. Fortunately, he was the one who could provide the money to support the team and its players and develop winning teams.
I remember once after a really tough World Series loss he gave this quote during an interview. "I am wounded but I am not slain. I shall lay me down and rest awhile, and then I will rise and fight again. Anon."
There have been difficult times in my life when I have remembered that quote. It has always helped to keep things in perspective.
I think the words I would use to describe him would be "kind, generous tyrant." I'll miss his physical presence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment