Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A good time was had by two of us

So, I have new jobs. Which require lots of equipment and cords going everywhere. I already had cords going everywhere and didn't need any more. I expect the fire marshall any day now. Of course, the power cords have huge transformers on them, there are telephone cords which aren't long enough to reach the wall jack, and I can't figure out how to connect one of the transcribe stations, not to mention making room on my desk for them.

So I did the desk part. Had to put my printer up on the top shelf of the whatever you call the thing (my brain is fried and I don't feel like thinking of the word). Not very convenient to have to stand up to turn it off and on, but the good thing is that as printed sheets come out they fly through the air and land in my lap.

Then I rooted around in my box of miscellaneous cords, which required moving only about 100 boxes to get to it, and found a longer phone cord. That problem solved.

I was sitting on the floor, tracing power cords to see what I could live without and remove so I could make room in the APC for the second power adapter. Rearranged them and had only one cord left. A Happy Eyes lamp which has never made my eyes particularly happy. Had to heave the cord behind the section of my desk against the wall and lie on the floor on my back and try to reach it and plug it into the wall outlet.

Add to all that the fact that I had cats walking on me, trying to get a better view, as I lay on my back under my desk. And, of course, there's the fact that when I was sitting on the floor tracing power cords I was blocking the door, and the girlies, who were already ripping and running with joy at the spectacle I was providing them, were jumping over me to get in and out of the room. Jumping over my head. Not even an excuse me as they did it. I had to keep ducking. I suppose I could have suggested that they stop, but they were having so much fun. They're so fortunate that I have the patience of a saint when it comes to them.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a cat crawling across your body when you're trying to plug something in. Glad the girls have been entertained since you broke their toy.

    ReplyDelete