Wednesday, May 13, 2009

more disillusionment

My entire life I've been told that I "can't save them all." I know that, but I don't know what's wrong with trying. For Christmas I got a card with money in it and a note saying "This is not for elephants, ducks, or other people. Do something stupid for yourself."

This afternoon during a downpour, I saw a little black cat running up my walk to my door, meowing and looking scared. Five other walks, and it had to be mine. By the time my heart had sunk and I had gone to the door to see what I could do, (s)he was gone. My hope is that (s)he belongs to a new tenant and got confused with all the look-alike doors. But what idiots to let him or her out so soon, if that indeed is the case. Or at all since there's a highway very close to me.

If human beings could be just a little bit responsible, maybe there wouldn't be millions of animals being killed in shelters, Easter ducks and chickens who quickly lose their novelty, dogs chained in yards, feral cats, potbellied pigs who have outgrown their welcome, and miserable animals in zoos and circuses. Maybe my heart wouldn't have to be ripped out every day. Yeah, I know. Not very likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment