Monday, August 23, 2010

ant farm

Ants are very interesting little creatures. Always very busy, looking for food, taking food back to the nest, carrying things that are much bigger than they are. I even saw some regular black ants carrying a dead ant once, all working together. There was a time that I looked up ant farms online, thinking it would be very entertaining to watch them, but came to my senses when I thought about sweeping up sand and catching ants while the girlies snickered. I don't know what purpose they serve in the ecosystem, but I'm getting suspicious that they don't have one.

So, imagine my surprise when I discovered I do have an ant farm - only it's in my salt shaker. Unfortunately, it's stainless steel so I can't watch them. Little tiny ants, trudging up the sides and down through the holes. When I took the lid off, I could see them tunneling. Holy moly. Pollyanna that I am, however, I was extremely grateful that I saw them before I had them on my tomato.

No comments:

Post a Comment