I actually had hoped that Queenie would at least be permitted to roam around the yard shown in the videos of Tina and Jewel's confiscation. Yesterday, I read the IDA release about Tina and Jewel, and there was a link to a video, which I clicked on. I have a hard time watching things like that, but sometimes I tell myself that if elephants have to endure it I have a responsibility to watch it. That link led to another and another . . . I saw the abuse of Tess, who died before she was able to be rescued. I saw the abuse of Queenie. I wonder which comes first, cruelty or the circus. It's mindboggling to me that such terrible abuse comes so easily to trainers, although at one point I wished I could beat the trainer with his own ankus so maybe I'm no better.
So now I know that Tina and Jewel are so much better off in the San Diego zoo. Will it be crowded with that many elephants in the available space? Yes. Is it a perfect situation for them? No. But, if they're never hit or prodded or shocked again, that's enough for me. Not having to perform and having food and water are bonuses.
Now I know without a doubt that Queenie is stuck in a hellhole with a man who has no conscience. I don't know if she'll be rescued, but I do know we have to try. I forget who the patron saint of impossible causes is. I'll look it up and pray to him for Queenie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment